GPS

john jptmoore at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 14:45:47 CEST 2008

Well if you mean obtain coordinates via triangulation it is
technically possible but in reality we are constrained by the GSM
operators and what information they are willing to give us. If you are
a large corporation such as Google and throw them some money you will
get access to such data. As Joe Public you will probably have to rely
on closed third party API's (e.g. Skyhook) to access similar
functionality or alternatively try one of the community driven
database lookup approaches.

John.

2008/6/24 Jisakiel <jisakiel at yahoo.es>:
[snip]
> - Is it possible then to fetch approximate position from the associated GSM
> towers then? I guess it depends on the subset of commands the chip
> implements, but I didn't have the time to read over those *extensive*
> documents as I'm still finishing my exams. I somehow suspect though that the
> GSM commands do not cover for that, and that'd be proprietary for the
> chip... Please correct me if I'm mistaken. I have no idea as well on how
> precise is that.

[snip]