OT: Zimbra & iCal

Alastair Johnson ajohnson at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 18:41:08 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 24 June 2008, Stroller wrote:
> On 23 Jun 2008, at 16:05, Joseph Reeves wrote:
> > http://www.zimbra.com/forums/zimbrame-j2me-client/12642-vote-phones-
> > zimbra-j2me-client.html
> >
> > For those that don't know, Zimbra is an awesome email/collaboration
> > suite, they're asking for people to vote on the next mobile platform
> > that their client will be released on.
>
> A bit of Googling indicates that Zimbra supports iCal (Apple iCal
> and, presumably, other iCal-standard clients).
>
> This allows syncing of calendar contacts across multiple machines &
> devices without using Zimbra's own client. You should be able to use
> the Thunderbird calendaring program, for instance, and have your
> spouse add appointments to your diary from iCal on her Mac.
>
> Has anyone used this?

The iCal interface works with both the Thunderbird calendar plugin
(Lightning?) and with the KDE Calendar. I've not tried it with anything else.
You can connect to the same account from multiple clients simultaneously.

The IMAP mail supports IDLE so you get instant delivery in Thunderbird. I get
a TLS error if I try to use it from kmail now, but it used to work. There
have been suggestions it's an OpenSSL version issue. I'm hoping kmail will
finally get IDLE support in the version for KDE4.

Personal contacts are stuck in an IMAP folder. This worked in kmail before the
TLS problem, but doesn't in Thunderbird. I haven't found the global contacts
list yet, but it may be in LDAP. There is a Thunderbird plugin to sync both
personal and global contacts though.

There is a Jabber interface for the IM, but I have only got it to work with
kopete. Other clients hang or complain about an XML parse error.