Slashdot post but no web store?

Yorick Moko yorickmoko at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 01:08:17 CEST 2008

I do not entirely agree with you on this one:

> In all fairness, I don't think he's a troll, it just appears that the
> device doesn't meet his needs. Let me put something out there that is
> VERY VERY clearly stated. The Freerunner is not ready for a consumer
> grade device today. The hardware that will be available soon is
> intended for DEVELOPERS to build their applications on the Openmoko
> platform so that when the device is launched to end-users, there will
> be a wide selection of usable applications. If you buy a freerunner
> before the mass market launch, do not feel upset that a feature isn't
> there because this stage is intended for people writing those
> features.

It states in the wiki (http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner)
clearly:
*The Neo FreeRunner is a GNU/Linux based touch screen smart phone aimed at
general consumer use as well as GNU/Linux desktop users and GNU/Linux
software developers.

*I agree it is not yet ready for "the masses", but I do expect the hardware
to be capable and sufficient once the software has been taken care of. The
neo1973 hardware was for developers. The FreeRunner is for developers AND
users.
I expect that in due time the gsm (call, sms, mms), gps, wifi and Bluetooth
will be fully functional and I want a smooth UI on a phone with a medium
battery lifetime. I do realise that it will take some time and I will be
patient. But if that is never going to happen, then Openmoko should have
informed his intended users better.
I have not yet read a anything that said these goals could not be reached
(with a sufficient amount of time and effort).

Have a little faith ;-)