Fast questions about GTA03

Brian C brianwc at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Jun 27 14:40:42 CEST 2008

Lucas Bonnet wrote:
> Sean Moss-Pultz <sean at openmoko.com> writes:
>
>> I encourage you to get involved today. We need your help. Waiting for
>> GTA03 is a possibility of course, but keep in mind how long it took us
>> to go from 01 to 02.
>
> Sure, how can we help?

Well, from the looks of the screenshots, Freerunners will ship without a
GUI email program or web browser.  (Is that right?)  If so, I'd think
that everyone who can contribute to a software update that includes
those apps should.  They seem fairly critical to me for any smartphone.

I would also rate getting the Glamo further figured out so that it will
do video playback as well as it's able is important.

Note: many people on this list don't care at all about video.  I
understand that.  However, I'm thinking more of public perception.  If
Slashdot/Engadget/Gizmodo etc. read reviews of the device that say, as
shipped, it can't do email, web browsing, or video playback, then a lot
of people will simply ignore Openmoko for good.  It would be better for
the community if it instead attracted as many people as possible.  It's
hard to overcome a bad first impression, but if some important software
updates become available within a month or two, there will still be a
chance to bring people around.

Brian