The glamo chip and its future

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Sat Jun 28 17:05:43 CEST 2008

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 12:57:47 +0200 Michael Stather <lists at michaelstather.com>
babbled:

> Couldn't the glamo just be driven with a highter bandwidth, or is this a
> chipset limitation?

no it can't. we already are seeing performance far beyond anything the glamo's
designers have ever seen. in theory we could get more, but the chipset (glamo
+ samsung 2442 combo) won't be getting that for us. :(

> And if the chip just isn't capable of performing better, what about the
> idea to have plain framebuffer access only through the processor but
> include a CLPD/FPGA in the design which may be loaded "on the fly" with
> a firmware for a simple 3D chip. I was involved in a project of a game

no possible. too late. phone is shipping. lcd is wired up to the glamo. on-chip
lcd controller is not connected. fpga's are power hungry. not going to happen
on a phone. also tyhe glamo is our interface to the sd-card in the freerunner.