data collection for GSM coverage mape is COOL idea

Brad Midgley bmidgley at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 10:44:11 CEST 2008

guys

>> maybe then we should create something like a plugin (or extension) for openstreetmaps, so we can append many kinds of meta-data (such as radar positions, gsm coverage, whatsoever) to existing maps... kinda points of interest (?) :)

is there software out there that takes
incomplete/overlapping/conflicting signal strength samples and makes a
best-guess effort at locating the source? it should work for cell,
wifi, whatever.

the estimate would have to be pretty fuzzy if the samples are very
incomplete. eg, samples taken in following a straight path would give
you two candidate solutions for the location.

in any case, it seems the best place to run software like this is on a
server that has collected data from as many sources as it can get.

--
Brad