PowerVR graphics accelerator

Michael Stather lists at michaelstather.com
Sun Jun 29 14:37:48 CEST 2008

During the discussion on the glamo chip I often heard "there are no
accelerators with open specs available", but I couldn't belive this ;)
Now I found out the the OpenPandora device uses a PowerVR chip which is
also used by the atom platform (at least in some versions)
and does have open-source drivers announced (see
http://www.imgtec.com/partners/TungstenGraphics.asp). Since this is
based on the new Gallium3D architecture (see
http://www.tungstengraphics.com/wiki/index.php/Gallium3D) these drivers
are also state-of-the-art AFAIK.
Seeing it in the openpandora device which also claims to be fully open,
I wonder whether this is an option for future devices?

regards

Michael