Multi-touch: Many questions to one desire....

Duvelle Jones duvelle.jones at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 04:50:45 CET 2008

        That

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 18:03 -0700, Shawn Rutledge wrote:
> They have no hope of preventing multi-touch itself from
> becoming the accepted mainstream, and then resistive touchscreens are
> probably going to be seen as obsolete.

That is assuming that mainstream has an interesting in the technology
aside from "Oh cool." As fair as I have seen it, that is not the case.
That doesn't mean that we can't look into it, it just means that
standardization of multi-touch panels are years away.

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 16:42 +0100, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> I have thought a bit about multitouch and its possible usecases and the longer
> I think about it the less exciting I find it on a mobile phone.

I will admit that most implementation of these panels are not completely thought through. iPhone/iPod Touch itself happens to waist many of it's functions.

> The technology per se is great and I'm sure it will allow for great innovation
> among UI's on large monitors, tablets, and even desks.

There is no denying that, desks have been the most interesting.

> However, on small screen systems such as the Neo (or even the iPhone) -- what
> do you want to do with it? The ubiquitous zooming and rotating examples are
> not convincing me at all. With some clever state logic you can zoom and
> rotate very efficient on unitouch systems.
>
> So... where are those usecases that apply to a phone?

Well, more to talk about. If anything, a few case studies over uses and possibilities are worth exploring. If is gets big enough, the wiki should be employed on keeping the data...
That is assume that the MT path is the one that is chosen.