Open source / Open Standard CAD development?

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Fri Mar 7 18:45:01 CET 2008

I just returned from ETech, the emerging technology conference, and some
of us discussed this problem. (In fact, the conversation started because
of the Openmoko release of Freerunner CAD files.) All programming
languages have a common source code form: ascii text. In contrast, there
is no such standard for mechanical drawings or schematic drawings.

Similarly, there is no single standard for image data. There are a
multitude: JPEG, TIFF, BMP, etc. but this is not as bad a problem
because tools exist to convert from almost any format to any other format.

Since it's unlikely nor desirable that a single standard will emerge for
mechanical or schematic capture, we came up with the idea of putting out
a call to the open source community to develop tools to convert from
from one format to another.

Some of this exists already, for example in Blender's ability to import
from a number of different file formats. But we would like to see a
project dedicated to creating a collection of tools to do this.

Comments?