FreeRunner delayed a further 6 months?!?!??

Pietro "m0nt0" Montorfano monto84 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 18:01:42 CET 2008

Well, i've followed this discussion and only one thing is left to say:
LOL!!!

Just get back from your dream and get the information in the list:
1) The Freerunner IS free, there are only some firmware things that
aren't open and that never will be open but they are only firmware, even
your PC run something which is not open source (BIOS, graphic card
firmware, cdrom firmware, every kind of firmware you got is generally
closed.....)
2) The Freerunner is in the last (we hope) development process,
concerning the hardware, so i think that there's no interest from FIC to
not release it
3) HOW will it be released? It will be released in a status that only
the hardware will be in a good form, the software could be considered
alpha or beta (you are lucky if you can make call or send sms but it's
not guaranteed)
4) WHEN? when it will be ready it will be released

So, what can you get from that?
You can understand that if you are looking for a replacement for your
"daily use" pda or phone, if you want to get it in a short time, if you
think that is closed source, if you want a camera, a keyboard, UMTS,
HDSPA, EDGE or something different from what is listed for the
GTA02,...., as a normal customer does, you can go to your favorite
mobile shop and get another mobile.
I think that no one is here to say something like "my cell is better
than the neo", if you are not satisfied with the Neo specs, there are 2
thing that you can actually do:
1) wait for another release
2) just get another pda

I can't see the difficulty in that, it's so simply, just like anyother
product. If you want the Freerunner for other reasons rather than the
tecnology you have to wait. Personally i like the neo and i like the
idea to hack a mobile os and make it look and act as i want, and first
of all i like the openness of this project. If this project was
something closed i'd be a stupid, with the same money i could get a
device with all the new tecnology, but i don't like symbian and ms win
mobile, so i'm waiting for the neo, keeping in mind that it wouldn't be
ready and functional "out of the box".

So just wait for some news from the FIC guys.

Bye!

Pietro

(sorry if my english is not correct)