Openmoko strives for openness

Lally Singh lally.singh at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 18:02:54 CET 2008

The openness is much appreciated!!  The hack value of this phone is
really mind-boggling.  IMHO It could become to this generation's young
hackers what the old Apple IIs and Commodores were to my generation.

As for the 6400 vs the 2443, is there any reason to prefer the 2443?
The 6400 seems better in every way.

As for other ideas, in sorted order of perceived probability:

1.  First, some sort of mounting holes near the USB (like the PSP)?
Or another USB port on the back (with mount holes), to allow things to
be attached behind the phone?  I'm in the Virtual Reality group here,
and a phone with GPS, accelerometers, and 3D is *very* interesting.
With a more specific positioning system (e.g. like the wiimote's IR)
attached, it'd be really useful in an immersive CAVE (small room with
projectors on 4-6 sides) or a gigapixel (25-50 LCDs arranged into one
giant display) system.

2. Actually, is there any hope of getting 3d acceleration out of the
graphics chip, or is that too bogged down with NDA-ness?  Are we stuck
porting Mesa3D?

3. Also, a wifi adapter that does promiscuous mode?  A few sysadmins
would love to run wireshark on it, to diagnose what's going on with
their network.

4. Personally, I'd love some sort of high-speed connector, so I could
connect something like an FPGA to it.  Maybe access to the GPIO off
the processor?  I don't expect it to be a high priority, but I have to
ask :-)