Further details of theprocess as we ramp up production of Freerunner

David "Lefty" Schlesinger lefty at access-company.com
Wed Mar 19 23:07:11 CET 2008

Carlo E. Prelz wrote:

> I am just curious: what do you do with these hundreds of phones that
> come out of test runs? After all due tests are performed on them,
> could they be offered as a sort of lottery draw to list contributors?
> (without any warranty, at a reduced price, you name it...) Or do they
> just throw them in the garbage bin?!?

For what it's worth, it used to be--this is back in the 90s--that when
Apple produced prototypes, EVT units, PVT units, etc., Apple was able to
take the cost of making them (and a prototype could cost upwards of
$50,000) as a Federal tax deduction as long as the units were destroyed.
That's changed now, but there may be other similar issues in other
geographies.