Openmoko strives for openness

Andy Green andy at openmoko.com
Thu Mar 27 17:22:16 CET 2008

>> 2. Actually, is there any hope of getting 3d acceleration out of the
>> graphics chip, or is that too bogged down with NDA-ness?  Are we stuck
>> porting Mesa3D?

Chance, sure, but the NDA situation is pretty bad it turns out for the
Glamo.

>> 4. Personally, I'd love some sort of high-speed connector, so I could
>> connect something like an FPGA to it.  Maybe access to the GPIO off
>> the processor?  I don't expect it to be a high priority, but I have to
>> ask :-)

Generally speaking USB of one kind or another will very likely be around
in one form or another... it will be a much better solution to make such
a device a USB peripheral since you don't have to open the case, can
unplug to revert to just being a phone, you get power provided from the
phone, can use on other hosts, etc.  And at some point it will very
likely be 480Mbps (GTA02 is 12Mbps) DMA'd in and out, so bandwidth won't
be an issue.  I really recommend this path for any non-casual hacking.

> Promiscuous mode? I would prefer full packet injection ;) see those wep
> networks crumble.

Full (radiotap) injection is useful for non-evil things too, the problem
with Monitor mode and the injection is the same: the closed firmware
doesn't offer it at the moment, and the firmware alone handles the MAC
for the current WLAN device.

-Andy