TomTom on Openmoko?

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Fri Mar 28 00:30:06 CET 2008

Michele Renda wrote:
> If you think is so good write to TomTom firm and ask them to make a port
> of their software to OpenMoko: I think it is a work of their programmer
> to make this work, not of OpenMoko team. They are already working a lot
> to try to make their device most open as possible. And I think is not
> their goals to make TomTom available in OpenMoko.

On the contrary, Sean Moss-Pultz has repeatedly sent messages to this
very list stating that OpenMoko welcomes commercial applications.

Making a device as open as possible, and supporting commercial
applications on that device, are *not* conflicting positions.

> My opinion

One not shared by OpenMoko Inc. it seems ...

There are many people who are idealistic about free software.
There are many people who are idealistic about open source software.
There are many people who use/develop both free/opensource software and
commercial software.

I don't think it's useful to try and push people into only one of those
categories.  You make your own choice, and feel free to shout the
benefits of that choice to others.  But please don't try and make my
choice for me, or try and convince me that my choice is any better or
worse than your choice.

-- Rod