TomTom on Openmoko?

Pietro "m0nt0" Montorfano monto84 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 09:35:40 CET 2008

Rod Whitby ha scritto:
> [snip]
> One not shared by OpenMoko Inc. it seems ...
>
> There are many people who are idealistic about free software.
> There are many people who are idealistic about open source software.
> There are many people who use/develop both free/opensource software
> and commercial software.
>
> I don't think it's useful to try and push people into only one of
> those categories.  You make your own choice, and feel free to shout
> the benefits of that choice to others.  But please don't try and make
> my choice for me, or try and convince me that my choice is any better
> or worse than your choice.
>
> -- Rod
I totally agree with you, i develop freesoftware, at work i always try
to say "can i release this tool under GPL?" i've already been paied to
develop that software, my company don't sell that software, it's for
internal use, so why not? Well sometimes i get a "yes you can" as an
answer, sometimes not. I love the idea of a totally free software
society, but getting to reality some project doesn't meet my needs. OSM
for example is not so good for Italy, i'm mapping my city with some of
my friends, ok, but i have to travel in other areas so if they are not
supported by OSM i have to choose a closed solution, why not? I'll
continue to map for the OSM porject.
This discussion is the same for the Neo: you want a ready to use PDA
now? get another one, if you want the Neo you have to wait the GTA02 and
the you have to work to fix some bugs.
For the software is: you want a detailed, ready to use navigator? if you
live in some country OSM is not for yuor needs.
There is nothing wrong. Another example is you want to talk to your
friends with skype? Why not if can (legally) port skype to the neo?
There are other software like that one? yes, but my frineds uses windows
with skype. Same for msn chat account and so on.

So nothing wrong to not prevent the adoption of closed source software,
it's a choice (you know... freedom of choice....).

Cya!

Pietro