Openmoko strives for openness (smedia glamo)

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Sun Mar 30 13:42:23 CEST 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 07:46:52PM +0100, joerg wrote:
> Am Do  27. März 2008 schrieb Lally Singh:
> > On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com> wrote:
> > > Somebody in the thread at some point said:
> > >
> > >  >> 2. Actually, is there any hope of getting 3d acceleration out of the
> > >  >> graphics chip, or is that too bogged down with NDA-ness?  Are we stuck
> > >  >> porting Mesa3D?
> > >
> > >  Chance, sure, but the NDA situation is pretty bad it turns out for the
> > >  Glamo.
> >
> > It's a shame!  Poor (Glamo) fools are shooting themselves in the foot
> > on this one.
>
> full ACK! Anyway there's hope, there were volunteers on one of the lists
> yesterday, who might be willing to sign a NDA.

Please note though, that being one of the persons who drafted the
wording on the contract between Smedia and OpenMoko: The contract
contains explicit provisions for OpenMoko preparing a set of
documentation for the Glamo chip, not carbon-copying from the original
NDA'd docs, and then cooperating with Smedia to jointly release that
new manual.

However, I doubt that given the current load and priority situation,
there would be anyone doing paid work on that set of new documentation.