Request for stable, automated build process

Lally Singh lally.singh at gmail.com
Sun May 4 05:19:46 CEST 2008

Huh, we've had the exact opposite experience over here.

The trick that's worked here is to recognize the top-level app is
little more than a shell for the plugins.  I download the source of
the plugins when there's a problem, and ping the maven listserv.  The
documentation needs help, a *lot* of help, but the code is workable.
Frankly, that level of work isn't any harder than debugging makefiles.
 In exchange, the benefits have been pretty solid.

But, yeah, it's easy for people to have either experience.  I just
wanted to provide my own datapoint.

In comparison to complex makefiles, I'm a lot happier on maven.

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Hugo Mills <hugo-om at carfax.org.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 08:21:27PM -0400, Lally Singh wrote:
>  > Just out of curiosity, would maven be completely out of the question?
>
>    Please, for the love of all that's holy, no.
>
>    I work with maven in my job. It's the most horrible misbegotten
>  misdesigned piece of hideousness I've ever had the misfortune to work
>  with. I'm not alone in that opinion, either -- pretty much everyone I
>  know who's used it has the same opinion.
>
>    I recently spent some time tracking down a build failure in our
>  automated build system. It was eventually traceable to some component
>  of maven -- still ostensibly the same version as the previous week --
>  changing under our feet in an incompatible way, so it decided to
>  reject a configuration that had previously functioned correctly. This
>  is not the only problem we've had with it. It has a track record of
>  being awkward and/or broken in ways that are not obvious, and it is
>  almost completely opaque when you come to try and debug them.
>
>    Please, please, stick to make.
>
>    Hugo.
>
>  --
>  === Hugo Mills: hugo at ... carfax.org.uk | darksatanic.net | lug.org.uk ===
>   PGP key: 515C238D from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
>                  --- My karma has run over my dogma. ---

H. Lally Singh
Ph.D. Candidate, Computer Science