Questions about Freerunner: Phone Usability, Battery Life, Shipping Date

Kunal Singh kunal at singhkunal.com
Sat May 10 14:08:57 CEST 2008

Hi all,

  thanks for so much of information. Now I have a better knowledge of
what extra I am going to get with Free-runner:

    (1) no contract with service provider
    (2) no hidden costs like i-tunes
    (3) openness; freedom to experiment

     In addition I will be supporting open source.

     another point which I wanted to reply to
 >     Michele wrote:
 > Open-source development doesn't mean that the programmer work for
free! This is a common error that a lot of person do.
 > In Openmoko there are a lot of talented persons that has a family and
they need a salary.
     Hi Michele, fully agree with you on both the facts.
    (1) Open-source development does not mean free. But effective cost
come down as (a) As there will be some contributors (though it will be
very less % of total, and this type of free support will mainly come
during later stages of the project) working for free (b) making big
profits is generally not the goal of open-source projects (again i say
generally, there will be exceptions), whereas profit is the sole
objective with other projects. the open-source projects have other
motivations (in addition to profit)
    (2) There are lot of talented persons on project - hats off to them.
They have developed a phone which is comparable to any other smart phone
in the world. Those phones have hundreds of developer working on it with
budget of hundreds of millions US$. And they take years to perfect their
designs. openMoko is a wonderful product.

Regards,
Kunal