microSD support

Crane, Matthew mcrane03 at harris.com
Mon May 12 15:00:25 CEST 2008

You are too kind to microsoft.  Similar to the 4gb RAM barrier it is
pretty much a 100% marketing decsion to support file systems of a given
size in a particular OS.

Why would anybody shell out the coin for the fancy new OS's with their
funny looking guis if old ones worked just fine with all the new
hardware?

Microsoft even had to go beyond these "limitations" and charge extra for
XP, vs. vista, so that people would find some easy reason to actually
buy vista.  I just paid the 40$ tax for XP on a recent purchase.

The RAM footprint mostly would have to do with the number of files on
disk, not the addressable disk size.

I expect that nearly all modern file system implementations either use
64bit pointers or a 32bit pointer, rarely in between, except for 48bit
(32 + 16) implementations.  It would be impractical for a driver to
attempt to exploit effeciencies around disk pointers in a 32bit vs.
36bit disk space for example.

Complexity can often be much more expensive then ineffeciencies.