Freerunner games

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Wed May 14 02:22:26 CEST 2008

The wiki page outlines several things that can be done with the
accelerometers, and several that can't. For the etch-a-sketch or marble
rolling application the more appropriate section of the page would be:

"When hand-held, and stationary, the phone has quite accurate (better than a
degree) knowledge of where 'down' is.
Tilt in two directions can easily be calculated
Roll about the 'down' axis cannot."

The paragraph quoted earlier in the thread then explains that by using the two
accelerometers you can actually detect roll about the 'down' axis, but only
if it is fast enough. In other words you can detect relatively gentle tilting
for fine control of the marble, plus sharp rotation or translation if you
want to rattle it about a bit.

There is also realistic coverage of how the accels can be used to improve the
accuracy of GPS readings, especially in a car, while making clear that full
inertial navigation is a nonstarter.

The source of the information looks like a combination of accelerometer
datasheets and some basic physics. I've not checked the calculations, but
they seem to be of the right order based on past experience with silicon
accelerometers. Perhaps this is a case of the explanation making perfect
sense to someone who already has experience in the subject, but not to those
that don't. Any suggestions as to which bits need a better explanation?