clarification re easy OpenMoko updating for "average" consumer

David Samblas Martinez dsamblas at yahoo.es
Fri May 16 00:29:07 CEST 2008

Hi Ron,
Please first of all, I'm not a developer only a enthusiatic openmoko fan with a lot of willing but no time at all ,only to write/read some here and there. so don't take me much seriously please.
It will be acceptable for you to run for you to do from a shell some commands, one comand, an aplicantion with a gui? not a retoric cuestion I really want to know you consider is you barelly minimum to start, not even think in the user end version just right now what will be you minimum -
A lot of phones got a PC app companion to ease and in some cases automate some tasks Update will be one of those task. I think is a good starting app to colaborate on because I am interested to easy this kind of task.to,myself too.and I think I will be able to make that kind of script that check if there is an update to download, download it, backup some data, update, and restore data again (this data can be a list of software installed via ipkg, and the home directory or watever the customizations done on the phone where stored. in addition of the PIM data of course)
I have made some script kidding and some try to make an app to do such a PC Suite like the sony ericsoon one (barely only a fucntionalities list, an some gtk  forms void of code  on monodevelop, and  some bluetooth/usb obex/AT testing) but a lot of this work can be reused/reoriented to do something similar to Openmoko even more easyly to code because you can do over ssh/sftp/scp or even vnc in a some kind of all-in-one app that avoid to use the shell as much as posible, did you consider such a app usefull? It can be affordable for very beguinners (like me) so I have just send this proposal as project to projects.openmoko.org

For shure the phone itself can do a lot of this things alone but some things can just be more confortable on a big screen an a full keyboard/mouse PC if aviable
"Ron K. Jeffries" <rjeffries at gmail.com> escribió:umy screed apparently did not communicate what
I meant to ask. bear with me. (donning fireproof clothing).

As an Ubuntu *user* every now and then I get an alert that
upgrades are available. If I say "yes" it automagically fires up
 a package manager. I enter the my root password,
and  a few minutes later it's a done deal. Smooth, easy,
does not require IQ of 175+

for a major Ubuntu upgrade, e,g from Gutsy 7.10
to Hardy 8.04, I select an upgrade button, and
 sit back while magic happened.

when I rebooted, I was on 8.04.

I did NOT lose my address book, either. <g>

ok that last comment was a bit snarky.
and uncalled for.

pls remember, I DO understand that for the next
 six months or maybe 12 months, the environment
and software stability is not intended for "just users"
like me.

and maybe Freerunner forever remains a niche
device for Linux developers and hackers.
 That's OK. But then technical users 9but non-hackers)
may be better served by some other flavor of Linux
mobile phone.

Just sayin'.

--
Ron K. Jeffries