Software Status Update

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Fri May 16 08:54:48 CEST 2008

On Fri, 16 May 2008 07:56:22 +0200 cedric cellier <rixed at happyleptic.org>
babbled:

> > as such the software update has both qtopia on it as well as enlightenment
> > as the wm - yes, some apps use etk too.  "native look" really doesn't
> > exist. there is no one homogeneous toolkit. qt has no changes made to its
> > look and feel currently. gtk does ship on the device. choose the toolkit
> > you like.
>
> And we are supposed to think that the lack of homogeneous look n feel is
> a bonus ?

it's up to you. you can uninstall whatever you don't like.

> Aside from that user perspective, what RAM is required if the phone runs
> simultaneously some apps that use the three libraries ?

very little.

> > i really
> > do not like the whole mindset of "we must program in language X or use
> > toolkit Y because the device happens to use it somewhere in some apps by
> > default". it's a limiting view of the world.
>
> Sound like someone who've just coded "yet another toolkit" :)
>
> The geek designed phone is going to have more toolkits and languages
> embedded than apps...

it already does. every man and his dog wants "java" or "C#" or "ruby" or "perl"
or "python" on it. deal with it. heterogeneity is a fact of life. no 1 size fits
all. or from now on shall we decree that everything will only be C as it is
what the kernel is written in and therefore anything else means the programming
environment is non-homogeneous!