Wireless Cracking / Hacking on the FreeRunner

Federico Lorenzi florenzi at gmail.com
Sat May 17 12:16:24 CEST 2008

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 5:28 AM, Brad Midgley <bmidgley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey
>
>> There is an email from Andy Green in March saying says we don't have
>> monitor mode, which I think means no promiscuous mode.
AFAIK monitor mode and promiscuous mode are two different things.
Monitor mode makes the card receive everything going over the air, not
just packets with its SSID, while promiscuous mode allows you to
receive IP traffic not destined for you (in a network connected with a
hub, when you use a switch, things get interesting with ARP hijacking
and the like)

Cheers,
Federico