IAX2/Asterisk + Openmoko FreeRunner

Brandon Kruse admteamkruz at gmail.com
Sat May 17 19:07:34 CEST 2008

On May 17, 2008, at 10:31 AM, Andy Powell <openmoko at automated.it> wrote:

> On Saturday 17 May 2008 01:06, Brandon Kruse wrote:
>> One more thing,
>>
>> The Digium Asterisk-GUI was designed ALL clientside (It is ALL
>> javascript).
>
> That's not always a good thing.

I agree.
Compliance has been extremely difficult.

>> Trixbox uses PHP/mysql/apache2, whereas the AsteriskGUI uses the
>> builtin
>> Asterisk HTTP Server, and javascript files (because we believe that
>> there
>> should never be unneeded load on the box that your phone calls are
>> running
>> through. )
>>

> You're still running an http server on your asterisk box. You could
> offload
> even more by using something like my mysqlswitch and a 2nd box for
> mysql +
> Apache. In reality most people are either running asterisk at home
> where it
> doesn't matter or running it 'big time' where the gui is no use /
> too slow.

> still believe that an internal http server is just so wrong in the
> first
> place - but you're entitled to your opinion ;)

Haha, you should have seen the community response when mark merged
that into feature frozen 1.4 ;)

We have community members with 2,000 end points and gateways managed
through the GUI, and editing the files themselves. I say try both!

I am just biased.

> Good work with the iax2 integration. Some integration with the
> contacts would
> be really useful, perhaps a voip number. I have here a Pirelli DP-
> L10 sip+gsm
> phone which has a really nice feature, the ability to set a
> preferred network
> to dial from,
>
> ie
> GSM Only
> VOIP Only
> GSM Preferred
> VOIP Preferred

This is EXACTLY what I want to do, well put. One semi-concern I have
is where to configure this? Your opinion, scaredy, would be great!
(for the best place to do this).

> Obviously the 'Only' options are just that network, the 'Preferred'
> options
> will try the  preferred method and if that fails (no coverage, no
> wifi etc)
> it tries the other. So basically I have it VOIP and it'll fallback
> to GSM
> when my asterisk box can't be reached.  The downside is that SIP
> suffers from
> so many issues with the separate audio / control paths. IAX2, as
> you're
> obviously well aware, cures this.

One port, nat work arounds, best protocol ever. Maybe not best :P

> Is this limited to the freerunner just because of wifi or is there
> some other
> reason? I'm thinking BT or teathered (sp) would still be useful on
> the gta01.

Absolutely. I have my iax client working through ethernet over usb.
But right, USB wifi, or usb bt.

> Looking forward to getting my grubby paws on it  :D

I value your opinion :)