Barometric altimeter on 'future' Freerunner ?

Philippe Guillebert phyce at rez-gif.supelec.fr
Sat May 17 23:17:43 CEST 2008

Matthias Schulze wrote:
> I am wondering about applications possible with the Freerunner
> (connected via usb) or later phone models, if a barometric altimeter
> would be included.

Hi,

Err, doesn't GPS give us a pretty accurate altitude already ? Event if
the precision is something like +/- 20 meters, I believe it's got a
better accuracy than a barometric altimeter that you've got to calibrate
to the meteorological conditions all the time.

thinking about the altimeter, since the standard geoid is pretty
approximate (yeah, our good old Earth is more like a potato than an
eliipsoid) : it would be good to have a way to set an offset parameter
between what's the gps tells you and what altitude is shown ; this way,
you can compensate this kind of errors by calibrating against a
geologically surveyed point (measured by the IGN in France, USGS in the
US...)

My 2 cents

--
Phyce