IAX2/Asterisk + Openmoko FreeRunner

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Sun May 18 16:09:35 CEST 2008

I never said it was perfect, just another option. I have no affiliation to
either digium or trixbox, but I did try both ISOs when i was starting out
with asterisk. I don't use either any more - CentOS, asterisk, vi.

I didn't give AsteriskNOW much time because it wouldn't play easily with the
non-digium passive BRI card I had at the time. I found the install-zaphfc
script for trixbox and it 'just worked' so I stuck with it. It probably
helped that I was already familiar with CentOS too.

The 'FreePBX overwrote my edits' issue is a bit limiting. For most things you
can edit the whatever_custom configs which it includes and does not
overwrite, but there are things you just can't do this way. That's why I now
use vi ;-) OTOH most people running a small setup won't need to edit the
configs.

I agree with Andy about the concept of the internal http server, and trixbox
runs too many things on the PBX for my taste, but to be fair I haven't seen
this cause any problems in a small setup. Small was ~20 SIP clients and a
single BRI running on a passively cooled Via C7, so not exactly a
powerhouse :-)

When I get the Freerunner one of the first things I'll be trying will be VoIP,
so it's great to see someone at digium looking at this. If it's going to gain
openmoko features I might have to look at the GUI again too ;-)