Will GTK be used in Openmoko? (was: Re: Software Status Update)

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Mon May 19 08:35:20 CEST 2008

On Mon, 19 May 2008 08:17:27 +0200 Stefan Gojan
<bassdscho at hoschi.is-a-geek.org> babbled:

> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) schrieb:
> > On Thu, 15 May 2008 19:56:41 +0200 "Flemming Richter Mikkelsen"
> > <quatrox at gmail.com> babbled:

> >> Just a comment on what I wrote:
> >> I think people should use what they like, but that if anything should be
> >> "official", it should be GTK+.
> >
> > hooray! someone thinking openly! :)
> >
> > i shall repeat:
> >
> > we SHIP GTK. it is there., on the rootfs. even if it were not - the moment
> > you add a gtk app it would be installed as a dependency!.
> >
> > we SHIP QT (qtopia). it is there. the qtopia phone app suite ships - it
> > uses it.
>
> Sorry I'm confused (cause I'm new to OM?!), this wiki page tells me not
> to use QT: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Why_Not_QT
> But you said OM phone suite use it -> I'm confused
>
> I'm new to graphical development with C++, so I don't prefer a toolkit
> yet. I want learn to use the toolkit which used by OM so my apps look
> familiar to the rest of my mobile software.

the page is old, and out of date. i was not involved in that page. qt is there
because of management decisions at openmoko. the wiki does not govern company
management decisions. :) it is on the phone. as is gtk. as are other toolkits.