OpenMoko codebases with Linux Cross Reference (LXR)

Andy Green andy at openmoko.com
Mon May 19 09:13:00 CEST 2008

| Andy Green wrote:
|> Somebody in the thread at some point said:
|> | Greetings all,
|> |
|> | I wonder if it would be useful for devel purposes to have the OM
|> | sourcetree imported into LXR (http://lxr.linux.no/) so folks can
have an
|> | quick method to access code via HTTP, which I have personally found to
|> | be much quicker than trying to large trees of C, espically better than
|> | learning code via $EDITOR/grep.
|> |
|> | Any comments..?  Would only of the openmoko.org folks be willing to set
|> | this up..?
|>
|> I use this a lot myself, Google random APIs or structs with keyword lxr
|> appended.  It's meant to be a bit of a beast to set up and run, but I
|> think it would be great.
|>
|> Gismo is this insane to hope for?
|>
|> -Andy
|
| currently i would rather like to put that onto the 'todo when we have a
| bit more time again' list.

"Never", then :-)

| also i think there are some important questions IF we do that:
|
| - which of our many source repos do we want in such a thing?

There's only one "source repo" for kernel, git.  It only makes sense to
have stable branch I guess, since that is what most people will have on
their device.

| - how and when do they get updated/synced?

Just do it once a day should be fine.  My google method often gets me
2.6.17 and even that is OK for many things, like which include file is
such and such struct defined in... grep is very noisy for popular struct
names but lxr understands the definition action and lists it separately.

| it seems that stuff needs a lot of perl, postgres as db and a few other
| components, most important a search engine called 'xapian' i would like
| to have the time understanding it before using it.
|
| besides that it seems atleast 'do-able' (even if i really do not like
| perl code anymore ;))

I read it was ugly to set up, but CPAN is the man for the perl stuff.

- -Andy