Will GTK be used in Openmoko?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Mon May 19 09:58:28 CEST 2008

On Mon, 19 May 2008 09:31:15 +0200 Piotr Duda <openmoko at nemezis.eu> babbled:

> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) belkocze:
> [...]
> > please READ THE EMAIL. suddenly the use of efl means "We are efl based". the
> > non-use of shipepd gtk apps means "we dont support gtk" and so on are all
> > bizarre views people hold and are espousing on these lists. they are not
> > true. we use EFL for certain apps and uses.
>
> I do not know details about what this certain apps are, but one can assume
> that these would be apps I called "main" (dialer, phonebook etc.)... If thats
> not true please tell me, I dont think that was said clearly on this ML... if
> it is true, then we can argue what means "based on" but I cant see any reason
> to argue about that... ;-)
>
> it's good at certain things.
>
> like I said, Im not trying to judge this...
>
> > to keep
> > supporting gtk and all other toolkits we have gone to effort to support it
> > under X11. we still use X - all toolkits still work.
>
> Im very happy with that, even more that it seemed to me that some time ago it
> was not supposed to be like that (I dont have time to dig ml archives to
> recall if it was clearly stated by OM team, during gtk vs qt flamewar and its
> totally unimportant now)
>
> > shachar *IS* asking for work. he's saying "use gtk! dont use efl! it doesnt
> > support hebrew and arabic and farsi... bidi". that means WORK for US. we
> > nave to re-implement from basics the things EFL then does for us already.
>
> I just said that I couldnt find where Shachar demands for support hebrew and
> arabic and farsi from the OM team... Im not so close to OM development process
> like you and dont know the status of the development when it was aimed on

he's asking us to use gtk because then he can have his support - or most of it.
from the school of "there can only be one widget set" of thought. ie we must
use just gtk - no efl, or just qt. i am saying there are multiple, used for
different things. they have overlap too.

> gtk, so like many others in this community I can just assume something, for
> example that a lot of work was put already there - and this could bring some
> questions and some doubts and some disappointments (like Shachar's)...
> also, i cant remember it was clearly announced (the move from gtk only to
> efl and gtk and qt) its looks like it came to the surface itself, but still
> one could feel surprised (like Michael Shiloh seemed to be ;-)

no it was not announced. it was a management decision. :)

> _I strongly believe that you know what you are doing, please dont assume that
> you have to convince me to anything..._
>
> Im not trying to continue this thread, Im not trying to start any flame wars
> about one toolkit vs another... Im very sorry if it looked like this - it was
> no my intention... :-)

that's cool. i am just trying to explain why we do things. i could just sit
silent and say nothing - you'd never know why, and all u'd get was software
images :) i'm trying to open up a bit of the reasoning behind decisions. :)