Will GTK be used in Openmoko?

Pietro "m0nt0" Montorfano monto84 at gmail.com
Tue May 20 09:12:38 CEST 2008

Rod Whitby ha scritto:
> Marco Trevisan (Treviño) wrote:
>> Well, I much appreciate your work and your openness with community,
>> unfortunately I can't say the same about Openmoko in this occasion
>> since this should be an Open company and so I'd have appreciated it
>> more if the decision would have been debated before with developers
>> and active part of community (= people writing code) in public lists.
>
> I guess the question is whether Openmoko Inc. ever promised that the
> contents of the rootfs for the phone that they sell will be determined
> by some sort of community consensus.
>
> If I remember correctly, they only promised to provide an open software
> platform upon which *you* can create your own personalised rootfs.  By
> including both toolkits, they have not changed anything you experience
> with respect to this promise.

Well it's open and it's Free (not gratis), so what's up? If OM decided
that this is the way they like so no problem, you prefer a python
environment (me too) and you prefer the use of GTK or any other toolkit
no problem, you've got the kernel, you've got the other various
software, you've got the old sources so if you want it you can develop
it, noone is stopping you from do that, you can also put up a community
or a company to do that, it's a choice that you and OM can freely take.
Obviously if this decision influences some of the project that are
developed it will be better to inform the community and may be consult
it to see what people think but i really like the idea of an open phone,
you may also put the "old" os onto one partition and the other one on
another and having them in dual boot, decide which is better and then
use it, why not?
It's a solution to have a usable phone with the hardware that is going
to be shipped.

Obviously IMHO.

Pietro