Standardizing data store across toolkits (SMS, PIM data, playlist, etc)

joerg at openmoko.org joerg at openmoko.org
Tue May 20 19:20:49 CEST 2008

Am Fr  16. Mai 2008 schrieb ian douglas:
> MartinG wrote:
> > On Friday 16 May 2008 03:26:06 Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> >> yeah. this is actually the bigger problem we face in the longer run.
> >> standardising data stores and access to them etc. :)
> >
> > I think this is a important point that should be given some thought
> > before everyone starts hacking. Would it make sense to use opensync
> > [1] as a middle layer between the frontend app and the backend store
> > -- with one plugin on each side?
>

> Yeah, there was a big discussion about this a few months ago, talking
> about whether to store data in some generic format or some homemade XML
> format or using some middle layer tool like opensync, and synchronizing
> data to a remote location periodically versus sync'ing only when
> connected to a PC, etc. It was a pretty thorough discussion.
>
> Personally, I like the opensync idea, a platform-independent sync
> engine, that can be ported to the OpenMoko platform.

So was there any decision/consensus on this topic?
I think it's a very "mission critical" thing to have a decent lib API defined
from the very beginning - see KDE addressbook, other resources of Kontact and
the neverending story about the *abc*-libs to use them from "outside". LDAP,
WebDAV/GroupDAV and even IMAP resources come to mind :-/. Have a look to
Kontact|contacts|resources|add...
Same thing for calendar etc...

/jOERG