ASU software - pre-pre-release impressions

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Tue May 20 19:27:20 CEST 2008

"Carlo E. Prelz" <fluido at fluido.as> writes:

> With regards to the second one, things differ from person to
> person. For most of its life, the openmoko project has been based on C
> and GTK, which I happen to be reasonably versed in. The switch to QT
> *requires* the abandoning of C in favour of C++, a language that I
> personally find unsuitable for use.

Gtk and C are things I personally find unsuitable for use.

So I'm getting mcclim and clisp running on the emulator and just using
that to write my applications (almost done even with ffi thanks to a
patch I received from an ARM architecture wizard; now I just need to
figure out how to automate builds of clisp because the final build
stage has to run on the target machine to generate the core image).

I bet you could spend a week or two and get KDE's automagic binding
generator programs to spit out C bindings if you really wanted. But
why bother? Gtk ships with the default image so you can just use that.

>> Or, you could pick up the older GTK apps and finish them up. It sounds like
>> the shipping apps are a placeholder to get a nice working phone for shipping
>> Freerunner. It's an open platform, so switch them out if you want the other
>> ones. Or improve the new ones. Or write new ones from scratch in Ruby.
>> Whatever. :)
>
> This could come to be true, given enough free time. Nevertheless,
> there is a big difference between having the core applications of a
> phone maintained and updated by Openmoko and having to depend on my
> scarce free time or other voluntary work for the same core apps.

The Qtopia specific data formats are temporary until the
freesmartphone dbus services are ready. After that it won't matter
what GUI toolkit is in use; the actual applications for accessing
contacts and such then become trivial to write.

--
Lindsay (Carlton): should i eat more post its