Switch from GTK to QT (was: ASU software - pre-pre-release impressions)

Carlo E. Prelz fluido at fluido.as
Thu May 22 09:09:06 CEST 2008

	Subject: Re: Switch from GTK to QT (was: ASU software - pre-pre-release impressions)
	Date: mer 21 mag 08 09:22:38 -0400

Quoting Nkoli (coomac at gmail.com):

> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 1:32 PM, Carlo E. Prelz <fluido at fluido.as> wrote:
> >
> > My complaint is that it would be difficult for me to put my hands into
> > the default apps. They are C++, QT, and expectedly using enough of
> > those creepy C++-isms (possibly, even those yecchy templates or
> > whereabouts). I would be comfortable with tinkering with C&GTK main
> > apps. On the other hand, I would find C++&QT main apps closed boxes (I
> > perfectly know that I could very well write C/Ruby new code on the
> > OM).
> >
> From this statement, one would think that you don't use _any_ applications
> written in C++ or Qt for the simple reason that you can't tinker with the
> code. I am sure this is not the case. You use the applications written in
> C++/Qt and play with those written in the languages you're comfortable with
> or you write your own from scratch.

I do not use any Qt app (Qt not installed on any of my PC's). My XFCE
setup is satisfactory as it is. I do use C++-written apps (starting
with dear old Groff). No need to modify them, though.

But you do not see the point. The cutting point of OM is that I can
(rather, could) finely adapt the core phone applications to my many
quirks. If I cannot do this, well, no reason to substitute my old
palm, which goes on giving me the phone/pim services I need
(all this, with a QWERTY keyboard and long battery time).

> Refusing to get the phone because you dislike the languages the shipped apps
> are written in, not because it prevents anyone from coding in the languages
> they prefer or that any of the applications are proprietary is beyond
> ridiculous.

You appear to have a very low ridiculousness threshold.

Carlo

* K * Carlo E. Prelz - fluido at fluido.as             che bisogno ci sarebbe