Mapless GPS

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at feldgendler.ru
Thu May 22 17:34:58 CEST 2008

On Thu, 22 May 2008 12:27:08 +0200, Alexey Feldgendler
<alexey at feldgendler.ru> wrote:

> Randall Munroe, the author of XKCD, suggests an excellent idea:
> http://blag.xkcd.com/2008/05/20/gps-cyborg-implant/
>
> Simply put, it's a GPS navigator that only repeatedly gives you the
> direction towards the target (in “three o'clock” style) and the distance
> to it, without using any maps at all. It probably won't help you in a
> maze of twisty passages all alike, but should be good enough when
> navigating in a city or suburb where roads are made to enable you to
> reach places.

Stupid me. Should have done some research before posting. Of course, this
exists and has been done long before routed maps even appeared. Garmin
makes a range of those direction-only navigators, for example.

I've also found that I can turn my €500 device into a dumb direction-only
one with the right settings. :-) For anyone owning a Garmin nüvi 360 or
alike, that's Settings -> Map -> Map Info, uncheck every available map,
then Settings -> Map -> Map View = Track Up, then Settings -> Navigation
-> Route Preference = Off Road. This turns off map display and draws a
straight start-to-finish line instead of calculating a route. However,
voice prompts with bearing angles would still be nice.