Android (Re: Qtopia Vs. GTK or both?)

Piotr Duda openmoko at nemezis.eu
Mon May 26 01:17:12 CEST 2008

Arnout Engelen pisze:
[...]
> Hmm, do you have any references to support that claim? That'd suck,
> Dalvik looks pretty interesting (also for Openmoko).

IIRC, it was promised by Google to be open... Im not following Android very
carefully, so Im not up to date with this... maybe it is already open, or
maybe not yet... or maybe google will not keep promises and never opens it,
only time can tell...

And for those who claim that Android is 'java-based crap', I think it is
to early to say, because Android is not java based...
1. it uses java syntax (and java tools like compilers and IDE etc) but its
at the end compiled not to java bytecode but for new google's Dalvik
bytecode...
2. it does not also use SUN's SE libs but Android's own SE implementations
(well, not exactly Android's own, i think this is Apache Harmony)...
3. it runs on mentioned Google's own Dalvik Virtual Machine

you can use java standard edition to develop application for Android on your
PC, but you dont need any of sun's java on the mobile...

there is some kind of association: java + mobile = crap (it does not matter
is it right or not here) but I dont think this should be extended on Android...
at least not yet... we will see, if this is really promissing, where first
Android devices will arrive (or someone compiles Dalvik for Neo, when source
code will be available)...

Android can easily attract megazylion of world java developers, and lot of
code and application (written in java) can be very easily ported to Android...
there is even a tool to convert compiled to sun's bytecode java classes to
to Dalvik bytecode classes (.dex files? or sth like that) without need to have
source code nearby...

It would be great if I could run also Android from one of my SD cards :-)

Piotr