My experience with the Freerunner (was: Any Stats on Battery life....)

Kevin Dean kevin at foreverdean.info
Tue May 27 05:46:01 CEST 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 8:47 PM, ian douglas <id at w98.us> wrote:
> I'm also doing some testing on a Freerunner for Michael and Steve, and I
> have one thing to share about battery life.
>
> With the ASU software, with no power saving at all, I placed a phone call to
> my Freerunner with a T-Mobile SIM from an AT&T phone. There was no audio,
> just two phones sitting side by side. The next morning, of course, the
> Freerunner was completely drained (my AT&T phone was plugged into its
> charger). The phone call lasted 3 hours and 52 minutes -- just shy of 4 full
> hours.

Neat test. I'll have to remember that one. :)

> I'm running another test right now with power saving turned on (dimming, no
> locking), to see if that has any additional impact on call life. There's
> also minor audio going on, as my wife is in the office/nursery building some
> cabinets for the baby we're expecting in October.

You mentioned "power saving" twice on the ASU and mention "dim then
lock". If I understand it correctly, ASU is the Qtopia based stack
that includes Illume, Diversity, Campwifi et cetera. There's no "dim
then lock" setting on that stack. Exposure doesn't have any power
settings that I know of.

Is this a confusion on my part, or are you testing something other than the ASU?