SyncML on Freerunner

Samuel Melrose sam at feel-the-darkness.co.uk
Wed May 28 00:15:23 CEST 2008

Hey again,
To try and answer some more questions, as Christoph has already done
so mostly... The reason for having an OWN server for this project was
to implement multiple things... We were going to start small, but
thing big, and go where no-one has gone before... Well, at least that
was my ambition anyway. Keep everything open, but at the same time,
very hosted.

The project is very nicely hosted by Christoph at the moment, and we
will be making advances in the near future. But at this current
moment, we have only exchanged a few emails in regards to planning,
and are still looking for ideas, as well as developers and people to
help. So this project has not actually developed anything solid yet,
to answer that question.

The was I was thinking, and I would like to hear everyones ideas on
this, is... This service would have its own specially designed server,
making it very easy for us to add new services, etc.. and not be
limited by any licensing issues.
We could store data in our own formats, I suggest SQLite databases...
This way, we can offer our own API set for OpenMoko handsets, to make
sure it is specifically taylored to the needs and wants of its users,
as well as the specifications of the phone. But then also, because it
is our own format, we can then develop more things (I don't know if
you'd call it an API, but sort of SyncML frontend to our backend, as
well as other frontends, to suit as many users as possible)... But
also the advantage of starting our own backend from scratch is, users
want encryption. I have not fully read up on what is offered by
SyncML, but the things I had in mind offer great encryption standards
for those who want their data protected to the highest degree..

To answer the question of what it would be syncing, I think Christoph
already got this... But it would be tailored to suit everything
OpenMoko first, then other platforms AFTERWARDS... Well, if Christoph
is in agreement with me, that is....
So basically, everything and anything you want, give up a shout, and
we'll try and get it packed in...

Anyway, I won't go into TOO much detail (says this after going on for
AGES, I apologize)....
Will try and post some more when I know more,
Samuel Melrose
sam at feel-the-darkness.co.uk