3G USB Dongle (was Re: Neo as cellular modem?)

Brad Midgley bmidgley at gmail.com
Wed May 28 08:38:42 CEST 2008

Nick

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 7:19 PM, nickd <blumph at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's a great idea Matt! Might be a drain on the battery moving packets
> around though. Speaking of which, would anyone know if it would be possible
> to use a 3G USB dongle on one of these?

you can use a gta01 with a y-cable and power source (i modified the
hub below to provide 5v upstream to eliminate the need for a y cable).
I only had to add the modules "option" and "usbserial" to work with
the 3g adapter. it's a cdma/evdo adapter from verizon.

http://chockerblockablog.blogspot.com/2008/03/neo1973-no-wifi3gbattery-life-no.html

it's not too hard to make the neo act as a bluetooth access point to
multiple devices and also bt dun server for one more device. I haven't
set this up on the neo yet but I did do that with a gumstix.

i think it may still be up in the air how to run a usb device and keep
the freerunner charging externally. this 3g adapter i'm using draws a
lot of power, so it almost certainly won't work when only powered from
a freerunner's battery.

--
Brad