(somebody's) experience with the Freerunner

Ian Darwin ian at darwinsys.com
Thu May 29 02:29:34 CEST 2008

> The predictive keyboard bit might help but I haven't become proficient with it yet.

It's not predictive; it's a dictionary+recent-words-lookup, with
spelling approximations. I've been chided for using the "P" word here,
so I'm just passing on the correction.

 > It seemed weird that it shows two lists of possible words (one
horizontal
 >  across the top of the keyboard, one in a dropdown box).

The horizontal is for "quick picking" when the list is short; the
vertical list (when you hit or click near the big white arrow) is a
final picker, that is scrollable, for e.g., when the list is too long.

> ... Perhaps a direct-input mode is/could be implemented
 > for that sort of application.

I've been agitating for this for a while :-)

> The whole interface was very smooth though.  I'm suddenly much more optimistic about the project!

It's coming along!