USB power direction in host mode (was: Re: 3G USB Dongle (was Re: Neo as cellular modem?))

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Thu May 29 04:18:02 CEST 2008

Am Do  29. Mai 2008 schrieb Michael Shiloh:

> Andy Green wrote:
> >
> > Somebody in the thread at some point said:

> > have
> > |
> > | No idea, it's a driver issue. On detection of 47k device is switching to
> > | fastcharge, which I think is actually working. Also it should activate
> > | LOGICAL hostmode for USB-controller same time (NOT asserting
> > EN_USBHOST!),
> > | which is needed for Y-Cable and doesn't hurt charger. I don't have the
> > | slightest idea whether this already is in kernel or not.
> >
> > It is deasserted if it sees you have a 1A charger in there, has been for
> > a while.
>
> A related question: I presume that it is the electrical signal
> EN_USBHOST which flips the switch which causes the USB port to source
> current in host mode, as opposed to sinking current in device mode.
>
> This is of course what is expected of a USB host, but it also prevents
> us from charging the Freerunner when the USB port is in host mode, if an
> appropriate power source is available.
>
> Question:
> Is it possible to charge the Neo Freerunner when using the USB port in
> host mode, by ascerting LOGICAL hostmode and by NOT asserting EN_USBHOST?

that's exactly how Y-cable_V1 *) works (besides replacing the needed 15k?
pulldown-Rs also switched away by deasserting EN_USBHOST)
The combination LOGICAL hostmode + NO chargepump is exactly what the
kernel-driver should initiate when seeing 47k

*) There's the spec for V2 already, that's capable of working with USB2.0-OTG
(supported by GTA03, though USB2.0 will be there with GTA04 at the earliest)
See "Y-Cable revisited" somewhere on the lists - even more simple ;-)

/j