Neo as cellular modem?

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Thu May 29 12:49:26 CEST 2008

Am Do  29. Mai 2008 schrieb Andy Green:

> |> Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the WiFi chip in
> |> fact _can_ do AP mode, but that mode is not allowed in the open source
> |> driver.
> |
> | its a firmware. the wifi module has its own firmware and does the 802.11
> | handling there autonomous.
> | that concept is called hardmac and was there earlier, e.g on the old
> | 'orinoco silver' aka hermes pcmcia cards.
>
> or "fullmac".  It just doesn't support Master mode.
>
> | that firmware can currently do client mode and ad-hoc.
> | _in theory_ every wifi radio can do ap-mode, its just a question if you
> | can send packets at a low-enough layer in the right format.
> | this is controlled by firmware on the wifi module in this specific case.
>
> It's also a matter of receiving bulk packets efficiently and they don't
> give us monitor mode either.
>
> We're helpless unless Atheros decided to implement Master mode in their
> closed firmware.  Unfortunately the power advantages of having the bulk
> of the ieee80211 actions managed in the firmware are pretty compelling
> so I don't know how we get out of that bind.

Well it's some time ago since I read about Soft|Hard|Free|FullMAC for prism
chipsets. Dunno whether there was a way to run even fullmac cards with a
softmac stack.
A much more interesting point: where is the firmware to download to our
Atheros-chip. (NO, no flamewar on free firmware|no firmware again!). Just a
simple question: do we have any way to reflash the FW?

/jOERG