Qtopia Contacts issue

Ian Darwin ian at darwinsys.com
Thu May 29 18:06:14 CEST 2008

> I've never used QTopia but how about something like "by groups"?  A lot
> of phones offer the option of grouping contacts (work, family, and even
> user defined groups).  It would be nice to extend this and then be able
> to filter by group?   Perhaps QTopia already has that feature?

Yes, Qtopia has groups. But with 800 contacts, even that is unwieldy,
and I'd still like to have them shown by a sensible (to me :-)) order.

Or maybe I should prune my contacts, but even if I got it down to 400,
I'd still have the same issues.

It is confounded by the fact that a useful QTopia feature (a feature of
most phones now, in fact) doesn't work yet. In stock Qtopia, if you type
a few characters of a contact name, the displayed list is filtered. This
doesn't work now, because (I'm guessing here!) the Qwerty widget doesn't
know where to send the characters, or, the Contacts program doesn't know
how to select the input, or something. Hopefully Carsten will now chime
in and say that this, too, like every single thing I've complained to
him (except my one feature request) is already fixed in the source, and
is working its way out to the builds.  BTW, this is another place that
you simply must have (and this is my feature request) the ability to
send letters one at a time to the application.

Cheers
Ian Darwin