Available Encryption algorithms

Onno van Eijk (DT) onno at holmes.nl
Thu May 29 18:23:46 CEST 2008

> see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A5/2
> as well as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A5/1
> and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A5/3
>
> seems one doesn't want A5/2 anyways and its deprecated, thus eventually
> the network doesn't allow using it anymore?
That's true,

> just guessing.. would need to work through a pile of calypso docs for
> more details, and still not know whats implemented in that specific
> revision of the ti-libs anyhow.. but after reading that i think a5/1 and
> 5/3 will need to be enough till we need 3g anyhow. (when gsm gets phased
> out, somewhere in the future or THC is successful ;)

Reading the wikipedia pages you suggested, I noticed A5/3 is a 3G. It is
quite odd and 2G phone/chip would support an 3G encryption algorithm....

Anyway, thanks for you input. I do not suspect you to work through a
pile of calypso docs, I guess you've got better ways to spend you're
time :-)

grz,
Onno