My experience with the Freerunner

AVee openmoko-comunity at avee.org
Fri May 30 00:02:25 CEST 2008

On Thursday 29 May 2008 21:58, ian douglas wrote:
> Andy Green wrote:
> > | Taking Lasse's advice, I set up a new test last night:
> >
> > Just a little point about these tests, AIUI the GPS stuff acts radically
> > differently in terms of current consumption depending on the distance
> > from the base station.
> I think that knowing a "best case scenario" (where you stay in the same
> location), you get about 6 hours of talk time, is still helpful. Cell
> phone manufacturers typically report a "best case scenario" when
> reporting talk time and standby time, with the legalese and fine print
> stating that "your results may vary" from their data.

This test might not even be 'best case'. A better test would be having the Neo
really close to the cell tower for optimal conditions. I guess the difference
between testing far away from the cell tower and testing close to the tower
might be pretty big. There probably also is a difference between GSM900 and
GSM1800 (iirc 1800 has a lower range which needs to be compensated by higher
transmission power).

AVee

--
When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute -- and it's longer than any hour.