My experience with the Freerunner

ian douglas ian.douglas at iandouglas.com
Fri May 30 01:23:01 CEST 2008

Thanks for your thoughts, Marco.

Marco Trevisan (Treviño) wrote:
> I agree, and we can't ask you more than testing like you're doing.

As of today I have 165 minutes remaining of my 1,000 minute TMobile SIM
card, so I'll have to restock it to do any more tests. I think TMobile
still has their "1000-minutes for $100" special going on, so I'll stock
up later this evening.

> The only thing I'm asking to you, Ian, is to report the GSM signal
> strength in your testing zone, just to complete the informations you've
> already given.

Fair enough. I'll report on that when I get home as my office building
is probably more shielded than my apartment. I live near the beach, no
mountains to really speak of, and my AT&T phone, which was always
showing EDGE connectivity at my old apartment always shows
full-bandwidth "3G" at the new apartment, which is partly why I wanted
to do some testing around my old apartment.

> Anyway, I'll appreciate so much if another one of the lucky Freerunner
> owners could make a battery test (also just a "standby" one) in a place
> with low GSM coverage...

As soon as my Freerunner is back to full-charge, I'll try to emulate
Einstein's standby tests with all 4 components (GSM, WiFi, Bluetooth,
GPS) turned on, then off, and report my own findings. I'll try to do it
with both SIM cards, if that makes any difference, and without any SIM
at all -- I'm curious if having no SIM card will emulate "low GSM
coverage" with the phone trying to constantly register on a network.

Since I have 5,000 evening/weekend minutes with AT&T, once I fill up my
TMobile card again, I'll take my Freerunner and Blackjack 2 on errands
this weekend, see if I can spend more than 6 hours connecting the two
phones again in varying locations around Los Angeles.

If anyone else has suggestions on how to test battery life, I'd love to
hear them. Especially from Michael and Steve, as they can probably
direct us a little better on what kinds of real-life scenario testing
they'd like us to help in.

I'm going to see if I can write a CPU-intensive script to run on the
Freerunner too, see if I can time how long the battery will last with
the CPU running 100% ... again, just a curiosity.

-id