Android on Freerunner ... Would it be possible ?

Mikko Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Fri May 30 14:47:52 CEST 2008

On pe, 2008-05-30 at 11:47 +0200, NeoSleg wrote:
>    I'm hust wondering if it would be possible to install Android on
> freerunner when they will be out ... I don't really know if Google
> plan to give their system to the public or only distributed with new
> devices ...

As has been said before, Google's development image is compiled for a
newer revision of ARM and is thus unusable on the Neo. (There is
speculation that they've intentionally limited the audience for newer
devices of their partners, but no real information.)

If they'll later release their sources as free software as they have
promised (well, the promises have included wording like "most of" and
such, so we'll see if they'll really follow through with true
freedom...), at that point the system should be portable to the Neo.
Being a VM platform that just happens to run Linux at the bottom,
probably their jitter will require some work in addition to simple
recompilation, but shouldn't be an unreasonable amount of work.

--
Mikko Rauhala <mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi>
University of Helsinki