using the openmoko neo101 in mass storage mode

Bobby Martin bobbymartin2 at gmail.com
Fri May 30 19:28:16 CEST 2008

> I'm sure it's *possible* to make the neo behave like a mass storage device,
>> and I would love to have
>> software that does it so I can have some kind of communication with
>> Windows machines that I don't
>> have permission to install drivers & internet bridges on.  As far as I
>> know that software doesn't exist today.
>>

> Two ways to accomplish this:
>
> 1. use gadget_storage on the neo/freerunner
> 2. use usb-networking + samba on the neo/freerunner
>
> My vote goes for option #2, since this also allows us to continue to
> support ssh'ing to the phone, etc.
>
> ;
> --
> Jay Vaughan

My issue is that I want to be able to connect my neo to just about any
Windows PC and at least transfer
files.  Connecting to the neo via usb from a Windows machine requires
installing a driver on the Windows
PC and setting up a network bridge on the Windows PC.  These are things I'm
often unable to do.  (E.g.
at work, or especially on someone else's machine at work.)

Bluetooth is nice, but it's also true that many PCs don't have bluetooth.
To me, the ideal solution would
be to have an app on the neo that makes it pretend to be a mass storage
device over USB, so standard
USB connectors on almost any USB host (Mac, Windows PC, Linux PC, maybe some
cameras, etc.)
would recognize the neo as a source and destination for files.  We should be
able to configure which
directories are exposed through the USB mass storage interface, and also
perhaps configure how
much storage is reserved (so you don't fill up your rootfs).

Does such a USB mass storage interface simulation program exist out there as
open source
somewhere, waiting to be ported?

Bobby

--
If it doesn't make you smile, you're doing something wrong.