QtExtended 4.4.2 Changes?

Cédric Berger cedric.berger74 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 09:44:21 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 09:26, Nishit Dave <stargazer.dave at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Cédric Berger <cedric.berger74 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Is this image now based on 2008.8 (base testing) ?
>> I can see that opkg config files now target 2008.x testing repository.
>> Should it be safe to opkg upgrade ?
>>
>> And could we know what modifications were made (or not) to "standard"
>> OM rootfs ?
>>
> The opkg files have always targeted OM repositories.  IMHO it would be very
> dangerous to try anything from there, because of X.

Well previous qtopia images targeted OM repos, but buildhost ones
(2007.2). (it was indicated somewhere that first rootfs were made
starting from a FSO one).
Since opkg config has been modified to target
download.openmoko.org/repository/testing/ , I thought that might
indicate rootfs was at least aligned with OM one...

Anyway, it would be good to know what rootfs is really made of.
And we should be able to install qtextended on a OM rootfs (in fact I
did on one partition of my phone).

X should not interfere here, at least as far as OM qtopia X packages
are not installed. And I think they are not in OM base testing image,
and of course neither in Trolltech's image. So opkg upgrade should not
be dangerous.
On my partition were I started from a 2008.8 base testing image +
qtextended (and, before, qtopia 4.3.2), I kept doing opkg
update/upgrade with not much trouble.

There could be problems, though, if Trolltech image is not at all from
OM rootfs, or if specific changes were made that would be lost or
interfere with updated packages.... hence my question...