Determine Distro?

Neil Jerram neiljerram at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 3 15:03:15 CET 2008

2008/11/1 Dale Maggee <antisol at internode.on.net>:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know a way to determine which distro I have on my freerunner
> from the command line?

As a rule, it's more robust to detect the particular thing (library,
application, header file etc.) that you're interested in, rather than
detecting the distro and mapping from distro to what you expect it to
contain.

> I'm looking into adding the ability for NeoTool
> to import and export contacts, but to do that I'd need a way to
> determine whether the user has 2007.2, Qtopia, 2008.x, or FSO installed.

So you could look for the particular file names that each distro uses?

Regards,
        Neil