Paroli project

Guillaume Chereau charlie at openmoko.org
Tue Nov 4 11:01:04 CET 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 18:26 +0100, Marcel wrote:
> > However, how will you merge tichy and paroli? I mean, I find tichy a
> > nice project, but I don't like it to be used as a laucher, since
> we've
> > already illume for it and ihmo it does a fantastic job.
>
> I think so, too... Tichy is nice, of course, but Illume works already
> perfectly (at least for me) and I'm used to it. I don't know your
> exact
> problem, but wouldn't it help to use this python-interpreter-sharing
> thing
> that came up on devel (?) recently?

Well, I think the problem that paroli will try to solve is not only the
time to start an application, but mostly the fact that applications
don't interact very well between each other.

On the desktop it is -almost- ok to have a clear separation between
applications because we are used to just copy and past information from
one app to an other anyway. Plus we can really feel the logical
separation between the applications : each has its own window, I can
move them around, resize them etc...
On a phone it is not that easy. There is no copy and past, no
possibility to resize or move windows. It takes a much closer
cooperation between applications.

If I see a contact in my contact list I want to be able to click on it,
select call, and see the dialer. If I see the same contact in my history
application, I want to be able to do the same thing, with the same
interface.
That is, the whole set of applications should feel like a single
application.

I guess that is what paroli is about : make the set of phone related
applications perfectly integrated.

Now my opinion is that if paroli succeed in doing that, then illume
shouldn't be needed at all (paroli should have a plugin launcher, so it
could be used to start other app as well (in fact, Michael "Goodwill"
already implemented a launcher for tichy). But then, nothing prevents
illume to stay, just like it works with FSO and zhone.

Cheers,
- Guillaume